Jobs and training for Driller’s Offsider / Driller’s Assistant (also known as a Roustabout in the Oil & Gas industry) involves moving and setting up drilling rigs and related equipment, assisting drillers to drill holes for such things as oil, natural gas, water, building foundations, minerals exploration and site investigation. Although this position is seen as a starting role for a Driller (Drilller runs a team of Driller’s Offsider / Assistants), it does require training.
Driller’s Offsider Jobs – Tasks & Duties
- Help move drilling rigs and equipment from site to site, set up in the new site and connect power cables or hoses for water and air supply
- Help obtain good quality drilling core samples
- Dig and clean mud pits and drains
- Mix and test drilling fluids, chemicals and grout
- Assist in slotting, welding and inserting casing screens
- Assist with well development and pumping tests
- Operate equipment, such as pumps for air, water and mud
- Use equipment and tools to correct problems in drilled holes caused by mechanical breakdowns or by harmful natural condition
- Carry out minor maintenance and repairs, including lubrication and cleaning
- Clean and maintain equipment, drill and camp sites.
Please note – these may vary from company to company and this is meant as a general guide only.
Driller’s Offsider Training Courses
Although the Drillers Offsider job is seen as a starting position with little or no mining experience necessary, training is needed and details about this will follow very shortly. If you wish to register interest for the Driller’s Offsider Training Course or find our more details, please contact us.
Courses are provided by one of our partner companies and designed to give participants a realistic insight into the Drillers Offsider role and prepare you for employment in the Mining, Oil & Gas industry.
Driller’s Offsider – Skills & Aptitude Required
- Enjoy practical and manual activities
- Aptitude for mechanics and able to handle machinery
- Physically fit
- Able to work as part of a team
- Willing to work in remote areas under difficult conditions
- Good organisation skills
- Able to record details accurately
- Clean police record
- Must be 18 years old (as it is a legal requirement on most mine and quarry sites)
- Have a drug and alcohol clearance test
- Pass a medical examination
Please note – skill requirements will vary from company to company and this is meant as a general guide only.
Related Jobs and Sectors to Driller’s Offsider / Driller’s Assistant
- Blasthole drilling for the placement of explosives for the removal of rock and ore in quarries and mines, and in the construction of road works, dam sites and other capital works.
- Mineral exploration and investigation drilling, which is carried out all over Australia and by Australian companies overseas in areas of suspected or known mineral deposits.
- Oil and gas drilling, which is carried out offshore and onshore by contract companies mainly employed by oil companies.
- Site investigation/geotechnical drilling to determine the soil and rock characteristics on construction sites.
- Foundation/construction drilling on construction sites, usually in towns and cities, as a part of the actual building or construction process.
- Water well drilling for stock and domestic or commercial bores, which is mainly carried out by private contractors based in rural areas.